How can I help a spouse who has schizophrenia?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine

If your spouse has schizophrenia, you can help by supporting his or her medical and psychosocial treatments. You can encourage your spouse to stay active and communicate regularly with a doctor, to ensure that relapses don't occur. If problem behaviors appear, such as irritability, delusions, or social withdrawal, encourage your spouse to see a psychiatrist.

You may also benefit from marital or family therapy with your spouse. Group therapy sessions can offer you and your spouse a chance to discuss how the illness affects your marriage and family life. Therapy groups are highly beneficial for those suffering from schizophrenia, and family members often benefit as well. You may also encourage your spouse to attend a peer-to-peer therapy group. The National Alliance on Mental Health states that these groups are immensely helpful for adults living with schizophrenia. Your spouse can learn from others who have successfully managed their illness over time.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

The Truth Behind 4 Schizophrenia Myths
The Truth Behind 4 Schizophrenia Myths
Even though that perspective has started to change—approximately 50% can have positive outcomes with the right treatment, says the National Alliance o...
Is There an Age or Demographic Where Schizophrenia Is More Common?
What Are Healthy Lifestyle Changes That I Can Make to Mange Schizophrenia?
If Someone Has the Genes for Schizophrenia, How Likely Is It That They Will Get the Disease?