How can I help a friend who might have schizophrenia?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
If someone you know appears to have symptoms of schizophrenia, talk to a mental health professional right away. You may be relieved if you are told that the person does not appear to be mentally ill. On the other hand, you may be assisting your friend by helping him begin the road to recovery. Before you talk to a doctor or psychiatrist, be prepared to answer questions about any unusual symptoms you've noticed. Write down anything that has concerned you about your friend's behavior. Think about whether your friend has faced a major challenge or life transition lately that might cause strange emotions or behaviors. Better yet, invite your friend to come along to the appointment. Let him know how concerned you are. Don't be afraid to ask the doctor how you can help and support your friend. Remember that consistent treatment with medication and therapy is the best way for a person with schizophrenia to live a long and healthy life.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

The 3 Types of Schizophrenia Symptoms
The 3 Types of Schizophrenia Symptoms
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by fragmented thoughts and a distorted perception of reality. There is currently no cure. While the o...
How does schizophrenia affect people in different parts of the world?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
The National Institute of Mental Health states that schizophrenia affects people similarly aroun...
If I think I have schizophrenia, what should I do?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
If you think you have a mental illness like schizophrenia, seek help immediately. Early diagnosi...
If Someone Has the Genes for Schizophrenia, How Likely Is It That They Will Get the Disease?