How can I help my child if I think he or she has schizophrenia?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
You should intervene early if you suspect that your child has schizophrenia. It can be very worrisome when your child displays behaviors that are abnormal, or claims to hear voices in his head. However, the best way to offer a child a healthy life with schizophrenia is to get an early diagnosis and start treatment right away. Experts recommend taking a child to a doctor annually for a physical exam. This is a great way to make sure your child is meeting appropriate social, mental, emotional, and physical milestones. If you have concerns about your child's actions, discuss these with the doctor. If your doctor agrees that there is a problem, you will be referred to a child psychiatrist. The psychiatrist can do a thorough evaluation and determine if your child does have schizophrenia. If the diagnosis is positive, your child will begin an intensive treatment plan including medication and psychosocial therapy.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

The Serious Risks Faced by People with Schizophrenia
It’s long been a stereotype with an unfortunate underlying nugget of truth: that people with schizophrenia are more prone to violence and suicide. A l...
How can I help a parent who has schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
One of the best ways to help a parent with an illness like schizophrenia is to be supportive. Ed...
How can I help a spouse who has schizophrenia?
If your spouse has schizophrenia, you can help by supporting his or her medical and psychosocial...
What Are Common Side Effects with Schizophrenia Medication?