If I think I have schizophrenia, what should I do?

Mark Moronell, MD
If you think you have a mental illness like schizophrenia, seek help immediately. Early diagnosis and treatment of schizophrenia offers the best chance of recovery. Here are some questions that your doctor might ask you:

- What symptoms have you had that lead you to believe that you have schizophrenia?
- Do you have a family history of schizophrenia?
- Have you been hearing or seeing things that others cannot see or hear?
- Have you felt that people were putting thoughts in your head?
- Do you feel that the TV or radio is sending you special messages?
- When did your symptoms start?
- Are you able to go to work each day, bathe, get dressed, and feed yourself?

After a thorough discussion, you may be asked to provide a blood sample and have other laboratory tests done. If you are diagnosed with a mental illness, your doctor will be able to help you get the medication and therapy treatment that you need.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

Talk Therapy Offers Hope to Patients with Schizophrenia
Medications are a crucial part of treatment for people with schizophrenia. Unfortunately, however, the side effects—which often include weight gain, d...
Should I be worried if my neighbor has schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
If you know that someone has schizophrenia, you may wonder how to act around the person. It may ...
Can a person have more than one type of schizophrenia?
Sometimes, people with schizophrenia experience several groups of symptoms at the same time. Whe...
What Are the Early Signs of Schizophrenia?