Can moving to a new environment or culture raise my risk of schizophrenia?

Migration to a new environment and culture, be it through immigration to another country or entering a new environment, such as the university setting, has been associated with increased risk of schizophrenia. Research studies in the Caribbean have reported incidence rates of schizophrenia in Afro-Caribbeans living in the United Kingdom six to sixteen times higher than that of the native British population. Similar studies of the same population in Holland show rates three to five times higher than the native Dutch population. Culture shock, assuming a minority role, and the stresses of separation from family and friends may account for some of these rates.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

The Signs of Schizophrenia in Your Early 20’s
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by fragmented thoughts and a distorted perception of reality. There is currently no cure. While the o...
What support is available for family of people with schizophrenia?
If you are caring for a family member with schizophrenia, you should know that you are not alone...
How can I help a friend who might have schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
If someone you know appears to have symptoms of schizophrenia, talk to a mental health professio...
What Are Healthy Lifestyle Changes That I Can Make to Mange Schizophrenia?