Why should I wear a helmet while riding a bike?

It is essential to wear a helmet when riding a bike. Head injuries are responsible for about 85% of biking-related deaths. Most state helmet laws apply only to children and adolescents, but more than 80% of bicyclists killed are aged 16 or older. Yet only 18% of adult cyclists in one study reported wearing helmets while riding. Staying away from cars won't protect you either: about 70% of bike injuries occur in situations that do not involve a motor vehicle.
A helmet is a small expense to protect something so valuable. As a professional cyclist, it's easy to take a fall without expecting it.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

no , you should n’t surf in hurricanes
no , you should n’t surf in hurricanes
from the alii of hawaii nei riding koa boards along the waikiki break , to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu north shore , to everyday ent...
how can i prepare my car for winter ?
You can avoid many dangerous winter travel problems by planning ahead. Have maintenance service on y...
how can i travel safely during winter ?
Be cautious about travel during winter. Here are a few tips: Listen for radio or television repor...
what is the correct way to wear a seatbelt in the car ?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
The lap (lower) part of the belt should be sitting low and tight across the upper part of your hips....