Why is it important for me to know what my child is doing on Facebook?

Shawn Edgington
Pediatrics
The power of Facebook in the hands of teenagers can be fun, interactive, intense, destructive AND permanent. Remember, what’s posted on the Internet stays on the Internet forever… which includes Facebook.

If parents aren’t proactive when it comes to parenting around technology… and instead just sit back and wait for a one-click nightmare to occur, it can be painful, leave permanent scars, and change our children forever.

Now that 85% of prospective employers look at Facebook as a background check, and colleges look at applicant’s Facebook page as part of the admissions process, I think it’s worth spending a few minutes getting to know how our kids are using Facebook. 

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Expert Safety Tips on Playing Sports and Mowing the Lawn
Q: We bought a new house with a nice front and back yard. My husband is excited about cutting the lawn and is off buying a new push mower. I don’t wan...
Who certifies equine safety helmets?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
The Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) is the coordinator and administrator for helmet certification. ...
How common are injuries from fireworks?
Kendall Regional Medical Center - HCA East FloridaKendall Regional Medical Center - HCA East Florida
Burns are a common injury from fireworks. In fact, they're more common that you would think. Yet, fi...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?