Who is the ASTM in regards to equine safety helmets?

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine
The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) is a volunteer organization that sets the standards for many types of safety equipment.  The organization is composed of knowledgeable individuals including doctors, physicists, mechanical, chemical and physical engineers, etc.  In l988, they issued the first standard for safety helmets.  Not all companies that produce a riding helmet are ASTM/SEI approved. 

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Hawaii’s Feral Cats Could Harm Your Health
It’s hard to go anywhere in Hawaii without running into at least one free-roaming cat. These include feral cats, pets allowed to roam, and lost and ab...
What type of protection will an ASTM/SEI helmet give me?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
ASTM/SEI helmets provide protection to the skull and brain.  A term used when measuring the effectiv...
What safety information should I look for when purchasing an equine helmet?
Certified helmets must show the date they were manufactured.  They should be replaced every five yea...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?