When should I buy an infant car seat?

The third trimester of pregnancy is the time to buy an infant car seat for your baby. State law requires that children under 8 years old be restrained in child-restraint systems, unless the child is 4'9" or taller. You will need one to take your newborn home from the hospital. For proper protection, a car seat must be used as recommended by the manufacturer. It is important, then, that you get an infant seat in advance so you have time to read the instruction manual and learn to properly use it before you go to the hospital. Hospital staff members are not responsible for placing the infant in the seat.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
How can I make sure my newborn baby is safe when traveling in a car?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
To travel safely in a car with your newborn baby, your baby will need a safety-approved rear-facing ...
What devices can help older people get in and out of a vehicle?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
When it comes to the turning motion needed to get in and out of a vehicle, there are several devices...
How can I keep my child safe when visiting an animal exhibit?
Below are ways to keep children safe around animals when visiting animal exhibits: Children young...