What are the risks of eating grilled meat?

Summer is grilling season for most of us, but all that sizzle and smoke on the grill can contribute cancer-causing chemicals to food. Those heat-generated chemicals have been linked to breast, stomach, prostate and colon cancer.

There are two cancer-related risk factors from grilling. Whether you're using a gas or charcoal grill, research has shown that high-heat grilling can convert proteins in red meat, pork, poultry and fish into heterocyclic amines (HCAs), which are linked to several cancers.

Another cancer-causing agent, called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), forms when fat and juices from animal products drip on the heat source. As the smoke rises, it can stick to the food and be consumed. That's where the main cancer-causing compound occurs in grilling, so you want to reduce the exposure to that smoke.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...
How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...
What Do I Do If I Encounter a Black Widow Spider?