What information should be included in an adaptive diver's profile?

A meaningful adaptive diver’s profile should include the following basic information:
  • name and age
  • sizing information for scuba gear
  • relevant medical history, such as spinal cord injury T-4, for example
  • Needed Scuba Assistance (NSA) score
  • type of adaptive dive certification
  • names of adaptive dive team members
  • impairments affecting performance of scuba skills (mobility, sensory, thermal, hearing and visual)
  • needs for assistance with basic scuba skills
  • needs for assistance with key scuba skills (out-of-air emergencies, controlled descents/ascents and equalization) 
  • need for full-face mask equipment
  • need for adaptive equipment
  • special precautions that need to be observed, such as autonomic dysreflexia and pressure sores
  • other information that is relevant to provide reasonable assistance necessary to enhance safety and diving enjoyment 

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Backyard Pools: How to Keep Your Kids Safe
In June of 2019, country music star Granger Smith posted a devastating announcement on Instagram. Doctors had been unable to revive his three-year-old...
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu’s North Shore, to everyday ent...
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...