What are the different types of mouthguards for sports?

There are three types of mouth guards:
  • The stock mouth guard is a commonly available mouth guard at most sporting good stores. They are bulky and lack any retention, and therefore must be held in place by constantly biting down. This interferes with speech and breathing, making the stock mouth guards the least acceptable and least protective.
  • Boil-and-bite mouth guards are the most commonly used mouth guards on the market. They are immersed in boiling water and formed in the mouth by using finger, tongue, and biting pressure.
  • The custom-made mouth guards are designed by your dentist and are the best of all the types of mouth protectors. They fulfill all the criteria for adaptation, retention, comfort, and stability of material.
(This answer provided for NATA by the Georgia College & State University Athletic Training Education Program.)
There are three types of mouthguards (mouth protector) -- important athletic gear that can help protect your smile:
  • the ready-made, or stock, mouthguard
  • the mouth-formed "boil and bite" mouthguard
  • the custom-made mouthguard made by your dentist
All three mouthguards give you protection, but differ in comfort and cost. Don't take your teeth for granted. Protect your smile by wearing a mouthguard.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...
Tales From the ER: 6 Real Life Halloween Horror Stories
Tales From the ER: 6 Real Life Halloween Horror StoriesTales From the ER: 6 Real Life Halloween Horror StoriesTales From the ER: 6 Real Life Halloween Horror StoriesTales From the ER: 6 Real Life Halloween Horror Stories
An emergency room doctor reveals the most frightening holiday traumas he's ever treated. Your neighbor's Halloween decorations likely won't spook you...