Why shouldn't I talk on the phone while driving?

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine
You should not talk on your cell phone while driving because being distracted by a phone conversation is similar to driving while intoxicated. Talking on the phone while driving can cause you to react more slowly when an unexpected driving hazard emerges or perhaps to never see the hazard until it’s too late.
More and more studies are showing the dangers inherent with this distraction, and the hands-free phones do not appear to offer much (if any) improvement. There are more documented accidents from talking on the phone than from texting, but this is likely due to the widespread use of cell phones (compared with texting).
When teens are learning to drive, they are encouraged to put their phones in their backpacks or purses, and then place those items in the back seat. Everyone should all follow that advice. Move your cell phone to the trunk if you need to, but remove the temptation.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What’s in Your Tap Water?
What’s in Your Tap Water?
When LeBron starts his gameday around 9 am, he grabs a gallon jug filled with water and aims to finish it before he gets on the bus to head to the are...
What are some fireworks safety tips?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Fireworks add festivity to a Fourth of July celebration, but a public fireworks display is safer and...
How can I avoid bats while hiking or camping?
Some bats roost in tree cavities or foliage and might be spotted in areas where outdoor activities t...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?