How do I know if my drinking water is safe?

The environmental protection agency (EPA) has drinking water standards in place to address more than 90 contaminants that may be found in drinking water. If a contaminant has a drinking water standard, it means that EPA has determined that it may occur in public water supplies, that it may have adverse health effects, and that regulation can provide meaningful health risk reduction.

In setting the drinking water standard for a contaminant, the EPA first estimates what level somebody could drink daily for 70 years without being expected to experience health impacts. In determining this non-enforceable public health goal, the EPA consider effects not just on the general population, but also on people who are more sensitive, like babies and pregnant women.

The EPA then sets the enforceable Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL), the maximum level of the contaminant allowed to be in water, as close to the public health goal as feasible, taking into account its ability to measure the contaminant and treat for it, and also the costs. These standards are set using the best available science and the EPA regularly reviews them to make sure they are up to date.

How safe is your drinking water?

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/how-safe-your-drinking-water

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What are the legal implications of not wearing a helmet?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
 Due to the litigious society that we live in, it is strongly recommended that everyone wear a helme...
How can I safely bring an animal into a school or daycare?
It is important to remember that animals can have germs on their bodies and in their habitats, even ...
How can I keep my steps and walkways free of ice during winter?
Walking on ice is extremely dangerous. Many cold-weather injuries result from falls on ice-covered s...
What are some grilling safety tips?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
If you are planning to barbecue: If you're using a propane gas grill, inspect your propane tank a...