What is the proper angle for a child's car seat?

The recommended angle for a rear-facing car seat is tilting back 45 degrees. At 45 degrees, the back of the seat absorbs most of the forces in a crash. If the seat is overreclined, those forces go to the child's shoulders and neck instead of the car seat. Plus, the angle helps keep a newborn's airways open. You can test the angle by making an L with your thumb and index finger, then lining up the seat in between the two. If the seat angle juts out in between those fingers, it's 45 degrees.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to modern big surf competitions on Oahu’s North Shore, to daily enthusiasts rel...
What should I do if I see a dead bat?
If you come across a dead bat, call animal control services to see if they can safely remove the ani...
How can employers prevent heat-related illnesses among their workers?
Employers should check on employees working in hot environments throughout their shift to make sure ...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?