What is the proper angle for a child's car seat?

The recommended angle for a rear-facing car seat is tilting back 45 degrees. At 45 degrees, the back of the seat absorbs most of the forces in a crash. If the seat is overreclined, those forces go to the child's shoulders and neck instead of the car seat. Plus, the angle helps keep a newborn's airways open. You can test the angle by making an L with your thumb and index finger, then lining up the seat in between the two. If the seat angle juts out in between those fingers, it's 45 degrees.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
Bike safety Taking a bike ride is a great way to exercise. This low-impact cardio activity is a fun way to reach your aerobic activity goals. Get read...
How can I protect my child from being poisoned?
Here are some tips for preventing poisoning: Keep medicines away from children and teens. Keep c...
How can I make sure my newborn baby is safe when traveling in a car?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
To travel safely in a car with your newborn baby, your baby will need a safety-approved rear-facing ...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?