Advertisement

Is it safe to eat moldy cheese?

Few molds on hard cheese produce toxins or poisons. But just to be on the safe side, discard one inch deep of the cheese on all sides where the mold is visible. Re-cover the food with fresh, clean wrap.

However, soft cheeses such as cream cheese, Brie and cottage cheese should be discarded if they develop. Exceptions are mold-ripened cheeses such as bleu, Gorgonzola, Roquefort and Stilton. For these, check the pattern of the mold. If it's different from the usual blue or green veins and you see furry spots or white, pink, blue, green, gray or black flecks, discard the cheese, as mold spores may have spread throughout.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Who certifies equine safety helmets?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
The Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) is the coordinator and administrator for helmet certification. ...
More Answers
How can my child safely interact with animals?
Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family MedicineUniv. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
Children younger than 5 years old should be supervised while interacting with animals. Teach childre...
More Answers
What is stalking?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
Stalking is one type of intimate partner violence. It is very common for the victim to know his or h...
More Answers
How can I help prevent my child from drowning?
Dr. Mehmet Oz, MDDr. Mehmet Oz, MD
You cannot be too vigilant around pools, lakes, oceans and bathtubs. If you have a pool, make sure t...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.