Is it safe to eat moldy cheese?

Few molds on hard cheese produce toxins or poisons. But just to be on the safe side, discard one inch deep of the cheese on all sides where the mold is visible. Re-cover the food with fresh, clean wrap.

However, soft cheeses such as cream cheese, Brie and cottage cheese should be discarded if they develop. Exceptions are mold-ripened cheeses such as bleu, Gorgonzola, Roquefort and Stilton. For these, check the pattern of the mold. If it's different from the usual blue or green veins and you see furry spots or white, pink, blue, green, gray or black flecks, discard the cheese, as mold spores may have spread throughout.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Who certifies equine safety helmets?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
The Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) is the coordinator and administrator for helmet certification. ...
How can my child safely interact with animals?
Children younger than 5 years old should be supervised while interacting with animals. Teach childre...
What is stalking?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
Stalking is one type of intimate partner violence. It is very common for the victim to know his or h...
How can I help prevent my child from drowning?
You cannot be too vigilant around pools, lakes, oceans and bathtubs. If you have a pool, make sure t...