Is it okay to flush medications down the toilet?

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) website maintains a list of some of the medications that should be flushed down the toilet.

These medications are especially dangerous to humans and pets. One dose could cause death if taken by someone other than the person for whom it was prescribed.

Flushing these medications avoids any chance that children or pets would ingest them accidentally.

According to the FDA, any possible risk to people and the environment from flushing these few medications is small. The FDA maintains that the risk is outweighed by the possibility of someone accidentally ingesting these medications, which could be life threatening.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
Who is the ASTM in regards to equine safety helmets?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) is a volunteer organization that sets the stan...
How can I keep my child safe in the car?
A child is at a huge risk of severe injury or even death if she is not properly restrained with a ch...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?