Is it okay to flush medications down the toilet?

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) website maintains a list of some of the medications that should be flushed down the toilet.

These medications are especially dangerous to humans and pets. One dose could cause death if taken by someone other than the person for whom it was prescribed.

Flushing these medications avoids any chance that children or pets would ingest them accidentally.

According to the FDA, any possible risk to people and the environment from flushing these few medications is small. The FDA maintains that the risk is outweighed by the possibility of someone accidentally ingesting these medications, which could be life threatening.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
Bike safety Taking a bike ride is a great way to exercise. This low-impact cardio activity is a fun way to reach your aerobic activity goals. Get read...
How can I travel safely during winter?
Be cautious about travel during winter. Here are a few tips: Listen for radio or television repor...
What steps can I take to prevent accidents?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Accidents, such as falls, sports injuries, fires and car accidents, are a leading cause of death. In...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?