Is grilled food safe to eat?

Grilled food is safe to eat if it has been heated high enough to kill any bacteria that may be on it. The best way to make sure meat is grilled to a safe temperature is to use a meat thermometer. Cook all raw beef, pork, lamb and veal steaks, chops, and roasts to a minimum internal temperature of 145° F as measured with a food thermometer before removing meat from the heat source. For safety and quality, allow meat to rest for at least three minutes before carving or consuming. Cook all raw ground beef, pork, lamb, and veal to an internal temperature of 160° F. Cook all poultry to a safe minimum internal temperature of 165° F. Meat such as hamburgers can turn brown before they reach the safe temperature, so just cutting the meat in the middle and looking at it is not a reliable method.
Grilled food is safe to eat once it has been cooked to a safe internal temperature. Don’t rely on 20:20 vision. The only way to tell if the meat is done is to use a thermometer. It is also important to keep moist disposable towelettes near the grill as a reminder to the grillmaster to clean his/her hands before touching the food. Wash the platter and utensils that touched the raw meat before using them again on the cooked meat. And, use a separate marinade if you plan on coating the meat again during grilling.

Go to this page for more information on safe grilling temperatures: http://bit.ly/KHhM1R
Marisa Moore
According to the USDA, studies suggest a link between cancer and charred meats and fish. Charring can occur as a result of high temperature cooking methods, such as grilling, frying and broiling.

Here are some tips to prevent your meats from charring:
  •   Remove fatty areas
  •   Pre-cook meat in the microwave immediately before placing it on the grill
  •   Make sure the coals of the grill are not directly below the meat
  •   Avoid grilling meats until they are well done or burned
Alan Gaby

I do not recommend frequent consumption of grilled foods, particularly animal foods. Grilling and other forms of high-temperature cooking of meats causes the production of chemicals known as advanced glycation end products (AGEs). These compounds are absorbed intact and persist in the tissues. AGEs appear to promote inflammation and to contribute to the development of cardiovascular disease, complications of diabetes (such as nerve, eye, and kidney damage), and chronic renal failure. In addition, high-temperature cooking of animal foods results in the formation of cancer-causing chemicals such as heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. The safest methods of cooking appear to be boiling and poaching, because of the relatively low temperature and because moisture protects against the formation of some of the undesirable chemicals. These points are discussed further in my textbook, Nutritional Medicine (www.doctorgaby.com).

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
Yes, but blackening should be avoided. Also note that the greatest risk is associated with animal products, like meats, when they are grilled and blackened. You can cook them first and finish them on the grill or opt for veggies on the grill!

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...
Who is the ASTM in regards to equine safety helmets?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) is a volunteer organization that sets the stan...
How can I keep my child safe when visiting an animal exhibit?
Below are ways to keep children safe around animals when visiting animal exhibits: Children young...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?