How can I make sure the eggs I buy are safe?

Peter DeLucia
Health Education
Recently I had the oppertunity to discuss this exact question on the Dr. Oz Show! 
1. Make sure you get the carton from behind the cold line in the refrigerated case.  This is a line that the eggs should not be stored beyond.  Reach in the back and get a nice cold dozen!  Cold eggs will stay fresher longer.
2. Open the carton and make sure none of the eggs are sweaty. A cold egg left out at room temperature can sweat, facilitating the growth of bacteria.
3. Look for the USDA grade shield or mark. Graded eggs must meet standards for quality and size.
4. Check the experation date on the carton. As long are they are kept refrigerated at 45 °F or lower, fresh shell eggs are safe to be consumed four to five weeks beyond the carton’s Julian or "packed" date.
5. Also check that none of the eggs are dirty or broken.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...
How can I make sure my newborn baby is safe when traveling in a car?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
To travel safely in a car with your newborn baby, your baby will need a safety-approved rear-facing ...
What are some fireworks safety tips?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Fireworks add festivity to a Fourth of July celebration, but a public fireworks display is safer and...
How can I keep my child safe in the car?
A child is at a huge risk of severe injury or even death if she is not properly restrained with a ch...