How can I supervise my child’s Internet use?

Your child should be supervised while using the Internet. While it offers your child access to all sorts of useful information, she can find just as much that isn’t useful or appropriate for her. Instead of letting your kids use general search engines such as Google or Yahoo, try the more child-friendly ones that filter out the junk. You can get access to all sorts of databases through your public library or school website.

Despite your best intentions, it may not be feasible to personally keep watch over your child’s shoulder when he is surfing the Web, especially a teenager. If you’re concerned about what -- or whom -- your older child is accessing on the Internet, it may be time to install a filter on your computer that will keep your child safe and allow you to track what he is viewing. I also advise that you keep the computer out of the privacy of a child’s bedroom so you can be more aware of which sites your child is visiting.

Be clear about the rules and etiquette of using the computer and Web. It may help to post a set of guidelines within sight of the computer so your child is reminded each time they sign on to surf.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How can I prevent pain while using a computer?
Working at a computer all day can cause eye, neck, and back problems. Find out how to avoid them as ...
How can I use fireworks safely?
Dr. Leigh Vinocur, MDDr. Leigh Vinocur, MD
The Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that over two-thirds of injuries from fireworks occ...
How can I make sure my newborn baby is safe when traveling in a car?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
To travel safely in a car with your newborn baby, your baby will need a safety-approved rear-facing ...
What are the most common winter injuries?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
The most common winter injuries, like falls and back strains, are related to snow and ice.