How much of a threat is workplace violence?

Workplace violence is a significant threat to occupational safety. Across the United States, more than 3 million people are victims of physical attacks in the workplace, and homicide is the chief cause of death for women at work.

A survey of nearly 500 U.S. workers also found that nearly one-fourth of the participants were victims of habitual bullying--and not only did that affect them, but it also affected those witnessing the bullying.

If your gut tells you that a co-worker could be dangerous, be sure to report it to a supervisor or someone in your human resources department.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How to Protect Yourself Against Meningitis and Smoke Exposure
Q: My son is enrolled at a small college in Vermont and I heard that there was an outbreak of meningitis on East Coast college campuses. He’s had a lo...
How can I travel safely during winter?
Be cautious about travel during winter. Here are a few tips: Listen for radio or television repor...
What type of protection will an ASTM/SEI helmet give me?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
ASTM/SEI helmets provide protection to the skull and brain.  A term used when measuring the effectiv...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?