How do I keep Easter eggs safe?

To ensure an enjoyable holiday celebration, follow these egg safety guidelines:
  • Open cartons of eggs before you buy them. Don't purchase cartons with cracked eggs.
  • Like other high-protein foods, eggs should not be left out of the refrigerator for more than two hours. This goes for both raw and cooked eggs.
  • To minimize health risks, cook two sets of eggs -- one for an Easter egg hunt or centerpiece display and the other for eating. That way, the eggs you eat can stay properly refrigerated.
Use all leftover cooked eggs within one week to prevent foodborne illness. Add eggs to green salads, make egg salad or eat them sliced on toast.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What to Do About Smoke-Filled Skies
What to Do About Smoke-Filled Skies
Folks from the West and Southwest to the Midwest and beyond are dealing with eye irritation, breathing difficulty and asthma from rampant wildfires th...
How can I protect my child from being poisoned?
Here are some tips for preventing poisoning: Keep medicines away from children and teens. Keep c...
When should my child wear a brace while playing sports?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Children should wear braces when playing sports only if there is a need for support or stability.
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?