How do I keep Easter eggs safe?

To ensure an enjoyable holiday celebration, follow these egg safety guidelines:
  • Open cartons of eggs before you buy them. Don't purchase cartons with cracked eggs.
  • Like other high-protein foods, eggs should not be left out of the refrigerator for more than two hours. This goes for both raw and cooked eggs.
  • To minimize health risks, cook two sets of eggs -- one for an Easter egg hunt or centerpiece display and the other for eating. That way, the eggs you eat can stay properly refrigerated.
Use all leftover cooked eggs within one week to prevent foodborne illness. Add eggs to green salads, make egg salad or eat them sliced on toast.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
Hawaii’s Feral Cats Could Harm Your Health
It’s hard to go anywhere in Hawaii without running into at least one free-roaming cat. These include feral cats, pets allowed to roam, and lost and ab...
How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu’s North Shore, to everyday ent...