How effective are seat belts?

Seat belts are by far the most effective protection against avoiding injury and even death in a car accident. That is why 49 out of the 50 states have seat belt laws, which are very important to follow. Some studies have even shown that upwards of 95 percent of people that wear seat belts escape injury free from a motor vehicle collision. Compare that with only 5 percent of people who escape injury free who did not wear their seat belt. Imagine having a 95 percent chance of winning the lottery. Those are good odds.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
Bike safety Taking a bike ride is a great way to exercise. This low-impact cardio activity is a fun way to reach your aerobic activity goals. Get read...
How can I protect my child from being poisoned?
Here are some tips for preventing poisoning: Keep medicines away from children and teens. Keep c...
What devices can help older people get in and out of a vehicle?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
When it comes to the turning motion needed to get in and out of a vehicle, there are several devices...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?