How dangerous is infant formula that contains rice syrup?

Gary Ginsberg
Medical Toxicology
New data from Dartmouth College has found elevated levels of arsenic in foods and infant formula that are sweetened with rice syrup. The Dartmouth research found two brands of infant formula that contain the rice-based sweetener. The inorganic arsenic concentration in these brands was double the federal drinking water limit and 5 times higher when you add in the methyl forms of arsenic that also have some toxicity. And the daily dose per body weight for an infant on this formula would be 10 times higher than what the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's reference dose for arsenic dictates is safe.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...
How can I use fireworks safely?
Dr. Leigh Vinocur, MDDr. Leigh Vinocur, MD
The Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that over two-thirds of injuries from fireworks occ...
How can I keep my child safe at home?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
To keep your child safe at home, follow these guidelines: Install gates at top and bottom of stai...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?