Does compression clothing help prevent muscle injuries for athletes?

Many studies have been done on the benefits of wearing compression clothing during activities and their ability to improve performance. Some will argue that compression clothing prevents excessive muscle vibrations and reduces fatigue and helps venous return to the heart. Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) can be experienced from excessive muscle fatigue, and limited studies have shown that compression clothing does have some positive effects on the likelihood of a person experiencing DOMS. For now, the studies are inconclusive as to the actual benefits of compression clothing and their abilities to prevent or lower the chances of muscle injury. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

E. coli Outbreak Linked to Romaine Lettuce (Again)
Another nationwide outbreak of E. coli infection has prompted recalls of more than 75,000 pounds of romaine lettuce and other salad mixes that contain...
How should I store my pet food safely?
Dry pet food and treats may contain germs, such as Salmonella. Follow these storage tips to help pre...
What should I do if I see a dead bat?
If you come across a dead bat, call animal control services to see if they can safely remove the ani...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?