Why does the pulp need to be removed in the root canal process?

The pulp, or tissue that provides nerves and nutrients to your tooth, needs to be removed during a root canal to save your tooth. When your pulp gets damaged, it must be taken out to keep infection and disease from spreading to your tooth. If caught early, your dentist can safely remove the pulp, clean and seal your root canal, and cover your tooth with a crown.

During a root canal, the pulp of the tooth must be removed because the pulp's tissue has died and if it's not removed, the tooth could become infected. After the pulp is removed, the root canal is cleaned and sealed off to protect it.

Continue Learning about Root Canal Therapy

How do I know if I need a root canal?
Stanislav MolineStanislav Moline
(You probably meant root canal treatment because root canal is a space within a tooth) The answer...
What are the risks of not getting a root canal?
Lucia Yau, DDSLucia Yau, DDS
If no treatment is done, the infection in the tooth and root can spread to surrounding area of the m...
How successful are root canals?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
A tooth restored during a root canal could last a lifetime, as long as you continue to care for your...
What are the signs that a root canal is needed?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
If you are experiencing pain when you have hot or cold foods and drinks, or if it hurts to bite down...