How is rickets and vitamin D associated?

Rickets is a vitamin D deficiency disease that occurs in children. The bones of children with rickets aren’t adequately mineralized with calcium and phosphorus, which causes them to weaken. Because of their “soft bones,” these children develop bowed legs, since they are unable to hold up their own body weight when they are standing upright.

Both vitamin D and calcium are needed for bone health.

Family Bike Ride

Continue Learning about Rickets

What increases my risk for rickets?
Adult rickets, or osteomalacia, is caused by a lack of vitamin D. Vitamin D regulates the body's use...
Should I talk to my doctor about rickets?
If you suspect that your child might be experiencing any of the symptoms of rickets, you should cons...
How common is rickets?
During the twentieth century, rickets was not very common in developed countries like the United Sta...
Can rickets be prevented?
In most cases, rickets is preventable by maintaining proper levels of vitamin D, calcium, and phosph...