How is rickets diagnosed?

Rickets is diagnosed through blood tests, x-rays, and a physical exam. Blood tests that screen for levels of calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D are the most common tests for rickets. Through a physical examination, the doctor will confirm that the pain you feel is bone pain, not muscle or joint pain. Looking for abnormal bone or teeth growth is also common when diagnosing rickets.

Continue Learning about Rickets

What do I need to know about caring for someone with rickets?
Caring for someone with rickets involves making certain that they maintain proper levels of vitamin ...
What increases my risk for rickets?
Adult rickets, or osteomalacia, is caused by a lack of vitamin D. Vitamin D regulates the body's use...
How do I manage rickets on a daily basis?
Managing rickets on a daily basis is a matter of ensuring that your child is getting the appropriate...
How do medications treat rickets?
Medications are not usually given to treat rickets. The aim of treatment is to replenish vitamin D, ...