What is topical retinol?

Dermatologist Dr. Heidi Waldorf explains what topical retinol is and what the benefits are. Watch Dr. Waldorf's video for tips and information on cosmetic dermatology and skin health.

Topical retinol is a skin medication containing a type of vitamin A. When applied to the skin, topical retinol acts as an antioxidant to help treat conditions like acne and signs of aging. Topical retinols are available in a variety of forms, including creams, lotions, serums, and oils for your face, eyes, hands and lips. 

Continue Learning about Retinoids

Can retinoids make my skin look younger?
Vitamin A derivatives, called retinoids, have one of the best track records for reversing many signs...
What are retinoids?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The term retinoid includes both naturally occurring and synthetic products that classically were...
Should I use topical retinoids for acne if I am pregnant?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
There are questions about using topical retinoids during pregnancy. There are natural levels of ...
When should I start to use retinols or retinoids?
Most of my patients who start using retinols for anti-aging effects begin in their thirties or later...