Who should not use topical retinol?

Do not use topical retinol (or other products containing vitamin A) if you are:
  • pregnant or nursing, as too much retinol and vitamin A can be harmful to both mother and child
  • allergic to any ingredients in your topical retinol product
If you are receiving chemotherapy or radiation therapy, talk to your doctor before using a topical retinol or vitamin A supplement, as these substances may interfere with cancer treatments.

Continue Learning about Retinoids

What is topical tazarotene?
Topical tazarotene (Tazorac) is a prescription drug that is applied directly to the skin. It is a re...
What should I know before using topical tazarotene?
If you are breastfeeding topical tazarotene may not be a good option for you. It is not known if thi...
What should I know about tretinoin topical before using it?
When you are using topical tretinoin creams or gels, you should know what to avoid in order to preve...
When should I start to use retinols or retinoids?
Most of my patients who start using retinols for anti-aging effects begin in their thirties or later...