How can retinoids help improve my skin?

Retinoids are the only proven wrinkle reducer on the market. Retinoids can do amazing things, according to Dr. Amy Wechsler, dermatologist, psychiatrist, and author of The Mind-Beauty Connection.

Better skin can come in a bottle -- well, actually, a tube prescribed by your doctor. Wechsler recommends two kinds of retinoids in particular -- tretinoin (Retin-A, Avita, Renova) and tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage). "These are FDA-approved, rub-on treatments that rank high on my list of skin-renewal candidates," writes Wechsler in her book. "Prescription retinoids can transform your skin, smoothing wrinkles, unclogging pores, lightening superficial brown spots, and improving the texture of the skin. It takes several weeks to start seeing results, but it's so worth it."

Ask your dermatologist if retinoids are right for you. Retinoids are vitamin A derivatives, and vitamin A can help your skin from the inside out as well as the outside in. (Sweet potatoes are a great source of this skin-friendly vitamin.)

Continue Learning about Retinoids

When should I begin using a retinoid to treat signs of aging?
Because retinoids can be used for treating skin conditions, such as acne, it’s not uncommon to presc...
What should I know about tretinoin topical before using it?
When you are using topical tretinoin creams or gels, you should know what to avoid in order to preve...
What should I know before using topical tazarotene?
If you are breastfeeding topical tazarotene may not be a good option for you. It is not known if thi...
When should I start to use retinols or retinoids?
Most of my patients who start using retinols for anti-aging effects begin in their thirties or later...