What is beractant?

Beractant is a natural bovine lung extract used for prevention and treatment of respiratory distress syndrome (RDS) in premature infants. To mimic the surface-tension lowering properties of natural lung surfactant, Beractant is a pharmacologic preparation which contains phospholipids, neutral lipids, fatty acids, and surfactant-associated proteins. It is administered intratracheal to replace deficient endogenous pulmonary surfactant and to restore surface activity of lung.

Beractant is a drug created from a bovine (cow) lung extract. It contains fatty acids and proteins. It is given to some newborns, normally within minutes or hours of their birth, in order to treat or help prevent and treat respiratory distress syndrome (RDS). It is a lung disease typically found in premature newborns. RDS causes a newborn's tiny air sacs to collapse when he or she exhales, primarily due to the lack of a wetting agent on the surface of the lungs. Beractant helps prevent the lungs from collapsing. It is given through a tube inserted in the airways of a newborn, usually in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). Beractant is the generic name for this drug, which is available under the brand name Survanta.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

What is clemastine (Dayhist Allergy or Tavist)?
Clemastine (Dayhist Allergy, Tavist) is an antihistamine that is used to treat allergy symptoms. As ...
How do I keep my child safe while using oxygen therapy?
Do not smoke, and keep the oxygen away from any open flame or heat. Also, secure oxygen carts in...
Can my child travel while using oxygen therapy?
Using oxygen therapy should not keep your child from traveling. You need to learn the policies o...
What time of day does my child need to receive the oxygen therapy?
What time of day your child receives oxygen therapy depends on how much is needed. Usually, if y...