How do I manage my residual schizophrenia on a daily basis?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
You can manage your residual schizophrenia on a daily basis by taking your medication as directed. Take note of any changes in your behavior and try to avoid situations that trigger your symptoms. Do not abuse alcohol or drugs, and take steps to reduce stress in your life. Talk to your doctor about other techniques to help you manage symptoms on a daily basis.

To manage residual schizophrenia on a daily basis, follow your doctor's treatment plan. The most important thing to do is to continue taking your medication; if you have questions about side-effects or find it difficult to continue taking your medication due to side-effects, you should talk to your doctor. You may also have a treatment plan that includes life skill training and therapy; this should be continued, as well. If you think you are about to enter a more acute phase of your condition, and you are developing symptoms that go along with this, you should talk to your doctor right away.

You may wish to learn some stress management techniques and set goals for yourself. These skills may be covered in life skills training. Controlling the stress you experience and setting achievable goals can help your daily life to be satisfying and fulfilling.

Continue Learning about Residual Schizophrenia

How do other illnesses affect residual schizophrenia?
Other illnesses or conditions that affect the brain, such as depression, anxiety, or drug addiction ...
What increases my risk for residual schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
While genetics and environment may play a role, your risks for residual schizophrenia are increa...
What is residual schizophrenia?
Residual schizophrenia is a type of schizophrenia where a person displays mostly the negative sy...
Should my doctor and I discuss my residual schizophrenia symptoms?
You should definitely discuss any symptoms of residual schizophrenia with your doctor. If you sh...