How can relaxation techniques help me?

Relaxation techniques allow us to release tension and focus the energy of our mind and body. One popular relaxation technique is progressive relaxation training (PRT), in which people first learn to tense and relax separate muscle groups and then learn to relax all muscle groups at once. Relaxation practices that use imagery are called visualization. Visualization involves relaxing, imagining an object, scene, or process, and letting it expand to fill your consciousness until it becomes the only thing in your awareness. Meditative visualization is a learned skill; some achieve it quickly, others slowly, and some find it difficult to do at all. A teacher may be helpful. Midwives have long used positive images and relaxation exercises to calm women in labor.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Relaxation Therapy

What happens in my body when I am relaxed?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
When you achieve deep relaxation, your: Breathing becomes slow, deep, and regular Heart rate slows...
How can the relaxation response be achieved?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
The relaxation response can be achieved through a variety of techniques. The most popular are medita...
How do I cause the relaxation response during exercise?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
The relaxation response can be elicited during repetitive exercise, such as walking, jogging or swim...
How can I practice relaxation?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
To begin your own relaxation program, set aside a period of about 15 minutes that you can devote...