In what ways can a parent cause family conflict?

Erik Fisher
In my years of experience in working with families, I find that most families with problematic conflict either have parents that:
  1. Are manipulative and try to push the buttons of their children with threats, empty promises, or gifts
  2. Are directly controlling and try to force their kids to do things that breed resentment and conflict
  3. Are inconsistent and send mixed messages to their kids without consistent guidance or support letting their kids try to establish dominance among themselves and against their parents, and/or
  4. Have unwittingly or purposely pit their kids against each other, regardless of their motivation. In almost all these situations, the parents are either blind to the way they're approaching these issues and/or are unable or unwilling to admit that they do these things even when confronted.

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

Is Your Partner Gaslighting You? Watch for These Warning Signs
It’s not uncommon to second guess yourself in a relationship, but if your partner is deliberately making you question your thoughts and actions, they ...
How can my dysfunctional friendships drive me to eat?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
There are a few ways you can get yourself into trouble here. First, by not having enough companions ...
Can recognizing challenges in a relationship strengthen it?
Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyDDr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
Recognizing challenges in a relationship can strengthen it, because handling conflict and dealing wi...
How Do I Influence the Health of Other People in My Social Network?