How can my family use time outs to reduce yelling?

Michele Borba
Give permission to “Take Ten”. Let everyone in your family know it’s okay to say, “I need a time out.” Then take a few deep breaths or walk away until you can get back in control. Then give that permission. If the yeller doesn’t stop, ask him to go to time out. Set up a place where a yeller can calm down.

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

Is Your Partner Gaslighting You? Watch for These Warning Signs
It’s not uncommon to second guess yourself in a relationship, but if your partner is deliberately making you question your thoughts and actions, they ...
What is the PACT approach to couple therapy?
Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyDDr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
The PACT approach to couple therapy is based on psychobiological principles vs. more traditional the...
Can relationships affect mental health?
Brenda K. Wade, PhDBrenda K. Wade, PhD
Absolutely. Imagine you and your partner are sitting down for dinner, and you notice that your honey...
Should a Patient’s Social Networks Be Considered When Assessing Their Health?