Question

Relationship Challenges

How can I communicate better with my children?

• A Dr Charles Sophy, MD, Adolescent Medicine, answered

So often we talk to our children from another room. Good communication with your children means getting up close. Talk to your child face to face at his or her level. Teach your children how to look you in the eye when you are talking. Get close to them. You might touch their chin or shoulder to alert them and make sure you have eye contact when you are speaking.

Use these strategies to make the most of your talk time.

• Focus -- Give your child your undivided attention -- this isn’t a time to multitask.
    • Remove static -- Minimize possible interruptions.
    • Look -- Make eye contact if possible (but, please, not while you’re driving!).
    • Recap -- Really listen to what your child has to say, then paraphrase what was said to make sure you understood it correctly.
    • Clarify -- With an older child, it may help to ask whether she would like your advice or just needs you to listen. 
  • A Dr. Lynne Kenney, Psychology, answered
  • ARealAge answered

I’m sure your family is busy juggling many responsibilities at home, work, and school. Between preparing meals, doing homework, folding laundry, and paying bills, most days are pretty full. But you don’t want to cut short any conversations with your kids. Use these strategies to make the most of your talk time.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Why don't men listen?