What is domestic violence screening?

Under the Affordable Care Act, one of the women’s preventive services that is covered without cost-sharing requirements includes domestic violence screening. Screening and counseling for interpersonal and domestic violence should be provided for all women. An estimated 25% of women in the U.S. report being targets of intimate partner violence during their lifetimes. Screening is effective in the early detection and effectiveness of interventions to increase the safety of abused women.

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse

What are the medical considerations for a victim of domestic violence?
Ruth Politi, MSNRuth Politi, MSN
Domestic violence is also known as intimate partner violence (IPV). It is important for the medical ...
What can I say if I think my aging loved one is being financially abused?
Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MDDr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
If you think your aging loved one is being financially abused, you can say “Let’s work together. I w...
What can I do if I face abuse in my relationships?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Abusers are often very charming people until they 'have you in their clutches'. Then one day the rel...
What motivates violence against women?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Violence against women is typically motivated by the need to have power over and control an intimate...