What can I say if I think my aging loved one is being financially abused?

Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

If you think your aging loved one is being financially abused, you can say “Let’s work together. I want to make sure you’re safe. I want to make sure you’re supported.” Communication and a collaborative approach are important. It’s how you approach it. If you say, “I want to be on your accounts now!” that can be taken as, “You’re doubting me!”

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse

Are You in an Abusive Relationship? Here’s How to Get Help
The numbers are staggering. About one in four women will experience severe intimate partner violence (IPV) over the course of her lifetime. For men? T...
Do You Know the Signs of an Abusive Relationship?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over half of the women who are murdered in the US die at the hands of an intimate p...
What are the efforts made to stop violence against women?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
The complete answer to this question would be the size of a book. Thank goodness!  Violence against ...
How can a safety plan help if I am dealing with a violent partner?
Violence against women, and to a lesser extent men, is an issue of power and control. When someone i...