What do I protect my children from intimate partner violence?

Protecting yourself and your children is your number one priority. Begin by asking them if they’ve been abused. Studies have shown that in 40% to 60% of families where there is intimate partner violence, child physical abuse is also present. Develop a safety plan with and for your children that includes safe places to go in your house and escape routes to leave the home. Teach them who to call for help in emergencies and help them memorize important emergency phone numbers. Urge them not to get in the middle of an argument or fight between you and your partner because they can get hurt trying to break it up.

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse

Are You in an Abusive Relationship? Here’s How to Get Help
The numbers are staggering. About one in four women will experience severe intimate partner violence (IPV) over the course of her lifetime. For men? T...
Do You Know the Signs of an Abusive Relationship?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over half of the women who are murdered in the US die at the hands of an intimate p...
How can I recover after facing violence?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Recovery is a gradual process of healing and empowerment. Since violence causes you to feel a loss o...
What are some common signs of an abusive relationship?
Good In BedGood In Bed
According to the Centers for Disease Control, nearly one-quarter of women and 8 percent of men have ...