What is on-board imaging (OBI) for radiation therapy?

On-board imaging (OBI) refers to the use of daily x-rays (taken right on the linear accelerator) that help to confirm a match of treatment setup to the planned treatment. Radiation treatment is designed to be very precise, and these images, taken just prior to treatment, allow the radiation therapist to correct for any daily treatment setup variation. OBI improves the accuracy of treatment and may allow the radiation oncologist to use smaller radiation treatment fields, reducing your risk of side effects.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What can I expect during radiation treatments for cancer?
Los Robles Hospital & Medical CenterLos Robles Hospital & Medical Center
A patient can expect to be educated on their first visit for radiation treatment. In this video, Tam...
What is a dosimetrist?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
A dosimetrist has extensive training in physics in addition to training in radiation therapy. Un...
What is accelerated radiation therapy?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Accelerated radiation therapy is a type of radiation treatment in which the total dose of radiation ...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?