What should I expect during radiation therapy?

Susan McCloskey, MD
Radiation Oncology
Breast radiation therapy is delivered daily, Monday to Friday, typically over approximately 6.5 weeks, but may be as short as 1 week or 3 weeks depending on your particular breast cancer. Radiation delivery takes approximately 10-15 minutes each day and you will be given a treatment time each day that is convenient for you. When you come for your daily radiation treatment, with the assistance of an expert team of radiation therapists, you will be positioned in the same position that you were in for simulation with your arms above your head supported by a cradle. You do see around you. The radiation treatment delivery itself lasts only few minutes. Radiation therapy delivery is painless. You won’t be able to see or feel the radiation beam. You will also not feel sick during or immediately afterwards. You are not radioactive and you will not be a danger to anyone during or after your course of radiation therapy.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What are the emotional side effects of radiation therapy for cancer?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
It is important for you, your family and your friends to be aware that you may feel different du...
How does radiation therapy (RT) treat cancer?
Susan McCloskey, MDSusan McCloskey, MD
Radiation therapy damages the DNA of cancer cells. DNA is the genetic material of cells and it contr...
What types of lasers are used in cancer treatment?
Three types of lasers are used to treat cancer: carbon dioxide (CO2) lasers, argon lasers, and neody...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?