What is CyberKnife treatment for prostate cancer?

Marc B. Garnick, MD
Hematology & Oncology
CyberKnife for prostate cancer is being evaluated and compared to other forms of radiation. It has the major advantage of requiring only 5 treatments, compared to 40 treatments with other forms of radiation. It usually takes five outpatient visits, each lasting 60 to 90 minutes.

This treatment may require fewer treatments if combined with another form of radiation. Side effects include bowel problems (diarrhea, blood in stool, rectal leakage, rectal pain), frequent urination, blood in the urine, urinary incontinence (increases over time), impotence (develops slowly), fatigue. It corrects for small movements and changes in the prostate during the course of treatment. However, this treatment has limited availability and more research is needed to prove its effectiveness.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What will happen before my radiation therapy for cancer?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
When you are being considered for radiation therapy, the first step in the process is a consulta...
How can radiation affect a man's fertility?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Radiation therapy can slow down or stop sperm cell production if the testicle is in or near the targ...
How is radiation therapy used to treat cancer?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
Radiation therapy can be used to shrink a colon cancer tumor in certain cases. It can also be used t...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?