What is the relationship between puberty and pregnancy?

Puberty is the stage during which adolescents achieve fertility, meaning they are able to reproduce. For young girls, the achievement of fertility is marked by the first menstrual period. At this point, the girl's ovaries begin to produce and release eggs. If the young girl were to have intercourse, her eggs could potentially be fertilized by male sperm, and she could become pregnancy.

Adolescent boys also achieve fertility and begin producing sperm during puberty. However, there is not a specific point, like menarche for girls, when this occurs.

While adolescents reach physical maturity during adolescence, emotional and intellectual maturity often lag behind. Sexual education prior to achieving fertility can help adolescence understand the consequences associated with their choices.

Continue Learning about Puberty

Is the onset of puberty related to weight?
The onset of puberty may be related to weight. Adolescents that are mildly to moderately overweight ...
What can I do to prevent my daughter from reaching puberty early?
Limiting chemical exposure and eating organic food are just two ways you can keep a young girl healt...
Why Do Some Girls Reach Puberty Early?
Why Do Some Girls Reach Puberty Early?
What Happens to the Female Brain at Onset of Puberty?