How can puberty affect my child's sleep?

Puberty brings a ton of changes to a young person’s life, but now we have evidence that the changes children experience in their sleep between the ages of 11 and 12 can happen sooner than the usual physical changes in adolescence. In a study in the journal Sleep, researchers reported that:

• As they approach puberty, kids’ ability to fall asleep was delayed by 50 minutes, and total sleep times were reduced by 37 minutes.

• Girls slept better than boys.

• Aside from the biological changes happening that can affect sleep, psychological issues related to school demands, social activities, and technological distractions can lead to the development of bad sleep habits.

Having a deeper understanding of the interrelationships between sleep and puberty may provide new insights into where our adolescents can be vulnerable for both behavioral and emotional health problems.

Indeed, the more we know about a young person’s developing sleep habits, the better we can support optimal habits for a lifetime of good nights.

Continue Learning about Puberty

Should I be worried if my daughter reaches puberty before her teens?
One in seven girls today shows signs of puberty before their teens, according to one study. Learn mo...
How common are enlarged breasts in men?
Enlarged breasts in men, or gynecomastia, occurs in up to 70% of teenage boys due to hormonal change...
As a Teen, At What Age Will I Stop Growing?
What Can I Do to Prevent My Daughter From Reaching Puberty Early?