When should I begin talking about puberty issues with my child?

Whether you realize it or not, you have the tools to talk to your child about puberty. After all, though it might have been a long time ago, you went through puberty, too!Begin by letting your child know that her body will be going through changes as she experiences puberty. Ideally, you will want to bring puberty up casually rather than having a formal discussion. You can use teachable moments such as a recent growth spurt, crush, voice change, or the sudden need for deodorant, pimple medication, or shaving cream as a starting point. Then, share your experiences with puberty, who you felt comfortable talking with, how you felt as your body changed, what you wish you knew that no one told you, and more.It is important to emphasize that everybody experiences these changes at their own pace. Find out what your child is learning in school, what she knows, and what she might fear or need more information about. It is also a good time for you to brush up on the facts. You can prep beforehand, or research topics together. Most of all, let your child know that you are a trusted and comfortable source for her sexuality (and other) questions and concerns.

Continue Learning about Puberty

When Does PMS First Appear?
When Does PMS First Appear?
As a Teen, At What Age Will I Stop Growing?
What Happens to the Female Brain at Onset of Puberty?
How Are "Wet Dreams" and Puberty Related?