What are the psychological benefits of eating breakfast?

Katie Rickel, PhD
Consider the following breakfast benefits from a psychological and behavioral standpoint:

Set the tone. Starting the day with a nutritious meal is a way to remind yourself that you are a person who values healthy behaviors. Thus, as you proceed through the day, your subsequent choices around food and exercise may very well be influenced by your earlier decision to nurture your well-being.

Defend against deprivation. Eating a breakfast that you find tasty and satisfying will serve as powerful ammunition against those feelings of deprivation that sometimes arise during weight-loss efforts. When you start your day with an enjoyable meal, you will be less likely to feel the need to indulge later to “reward” yourself for your restraint.

Ease into your morning. Rushing out the door just minutes after waking is no way to begin your day. Instead, starting your day by calmly sitting down to a meal will allow you to organize your thoughts, to spend some time with family, and to boost your mood before you venture out into the world.

Continue Learning about Psychology of Weight Loss

Is Social Media Making You Fat?
Is Social Media Making You Fat?
It’s hard to scroll past a perfectly photographed cake or mac and cheese dish on Facebook or Instagram—but you might want to. Food porn, defined as a...
What behavioral strategies are followed by successful weight losers?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Behavioral strategies that successful weight losers followed are as given below:They exercised on a ...
What kind of person is an avoider?
In anyone who's overweight—whether by a little or a lot—we can see the relationship between why we e...
How Do I Lose Weight Successfully If My Partner Doesn’t Support My Efforts?