How much protein do I need each day?

Vandana  R. Sheth
The daily recommendation for protein varies according to age, gender, activity level and other factors. In general, the daily protein recommendation for women is 46 grams. It is best to get at least 1 ounce or 7 grams of protein in the morning. An example would be 1 egg, 2 tablespoons nut butter, 1 slice cheese, half cup tofu or half cup beans or lentils.
Eric Olsen
Fitness
A general rule of thumb for estimating daily protein needs is that 0.8 grams of protein for each kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight is more than enough. For a 155-pound individual, that amounts to less than a quarter pound of protein a day, not all that much, and you don't have to get this protein from animal sources at all; beans and grains in combination, for example, provide adequate protein, with the added benefits of abundant complex carbs and fibers and little fat. Most of us eat much more protein than we need.
Lifefit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life

An easy-to-follow programme for lengthening and improving lives. More than an exercise guide, this text is an effective tool for making meaningful lifestyle decisions to benefit long-term fitness. In...

Continue Learning about Protein

Increase Your Life Span with This Protein
Which do you have on the menu tonight -- chicken, beef, pork, or fish? Your answer just might affect your life span. Your best bet: Choose two legs -...
What should be my required daily protein intake?
Eating the Right Amount There is no hard and fast way to measure your required protein intake -- ...
How can I add extra protein to the foods in my diet?
Tanya ZuckerbrotTanya Zuckerbrot
There are many ways to add extra protein to your diet. Protein is a great addition because with only...
5 Tips to Fight Fatigue
5 Tips to Fight Fatigue