Why is protein important for my brain?

Proteins break down into amino acids, which are the essential building blocks of neurochemicals in the brain. In this video, neurologist David Perlmutter, MD, explains which proteins are best for brain health, and how much of it we should be eating. 
Samantha Heller, RD
The brain cannot store amino acids, so it needs an ongoing daily supply from the food we eat. Most Americans consume plenty of protein. Eating too little protein affects the health of your whole body, including the ability of the neurons in your brain to communicate. Having protein with every meal feeds your brain and helps increase satiety (feeling full), helps manage energy and blood sugar levels, may increase weight and fat loss and may build muscles (technically only exercise builds muscles, but they won’t get built without adequate dietary protein).
Get Smart: Samantha Heller's Nutrition Prescription for Boosting Brain Power and Optimizing Total Body Health

A healthy body makes for a healthy brain, and this fun, creative guide is designed to help readers have both—they can be smarter, stronger, happier, and more energetic by changing a few dietary...

Continue Learning about Protein Body Impact

High-Protein Snacks Boost Metabolic Rate
Before you spend 20 minutes pumping iron at the gym or hauling your body up that park hill, high-protein snacks are recommended. Research suggests th...
What is the importance of protein in maintaining a healthy appetite?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Protein, too, has been well demonstrated to be vital in the maintenance of healthy appetite control....
What types of proteins should I choose to keep my heart healthy?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Protein is an important element in a healthy diet. Unfortunately, many sources of protein -- such as...
The Best Protein Powder for Weight Loss
The Best Protein Powder for Weight Loss