What is the role of dietary protein in the body?

Protein is one of three major sources of calories in the diet. It provides the body with material for building blood cells, body tissue, hormones, muscle, and other important substances. It is found in meats, eggs, milk, beans, legumes, vegetables, starches, and nuts.

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
Proteins play an important role in our body. The most well-known is their role in building lean body mass (muscle), but many proteins are also enzymes which mean they are messengers in cellular communication that signal metabolism and immune responses among other core functions. When consumed, your body goes to work breaking down proteins into their amino acids, which then get absorbed and transported by the blood to cells for use. The mere act of breaking down protein burns calories and keeps your blood sugar stabilized. Amino acids can then be converted to glucose and used as energy, or they can form new protein molecules needed by the body.
Mom Energy: A Simple Plan to Live Fully Charged

From celebrated dietitian Ashley Koff and fitness trainer to the stars Kathy Kaehler comes Mom Energy, an exciting new way for moms to tap into their own natural and renewable sources of...
Manuel Villacorta
Most Americans get plenty of protein, which is essential for growth, tissue repair, and immune function. Protein also preserves lean muscle mass and helps make essential hormones and enzymes, as well as energy, when carbs aren't available. Proteins are found in meats and vegetarian meats.
Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep Weight Off for Good

Eating Free reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for...

Continue Learning about Protein Body Impact

High-Protein Snacks Boost Metabolic Rate
Before you spend 20 minutes pumping iron at the gym or hauling your body up that park hill, high-protein snacks are recommended. Research suggests th...
What types of proteins should I choose to keep my heart healthy?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Protein is an important element in a healthy diet. Unfortunately, many sources of protein -- such as...
What is the role of protein for exercise?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
The predominant role of protein for exercise is to repair the microdamage that occurs to muscle and ...
How Does Eating Protein Help Reduce My Appetite?